Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

One of my problems

is, I think, that I do not set particular times for my working hours. Therefore, I always think I should work, and I very rarely go out (despite the fact I don't really have a lot of people to go out with in the first place). I would so much love to go out in a cafe, but I always think I have to finish that paper for publication. So what happens is this: I do not go out, I think I have to work, I stare at my laptop (do a lot of useless internet surfing), feel bad and go back into my bed feeling desperate.

I wonder if this habit differed if I had a boyfriend (who would want to meet me at, say, 7 p.m. in one of my favourite cafes).

*sigh*

3 Comments:

Blogger Stewgad said...

I think you should go out to the cafe, take the work with you, that way you feel justified in going, even if you don't do anything on it.

If all we do is stare at the screen all day, then what is there to feed us so that we have something to say when the time comes to say it in print?

It's my first time checking in. I love the blog!

Friday, June 24, 2005 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

Stewgad, the problem with takink work to the cafe is the spine. I must not carry heavy things (like a laptop and a notebook and pencils in a backpack) and I must not sit on unhelathy chairs (which cafe chairs all are; they do not have the height that suits me).

Friday, June 24, 2005 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Pseudosanity said...

dont we all do it :( I try to do light reading everynow and then in a cafe. But the risk of a guy doing that is coming of as a nerd. But its still infinetly better than sitting in my office. Interestingly everytime I have taken my laptop to a cafe, someone or the other has asked for tech help. Wonder why.

Friday, June 24, 2005 2:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home