Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Job Market

Refreshed from a nice summer holiday, I am prepared to jump into my next adventure. I need a new job. Soon.

I did my very best to figure out what I want, but I have not arrived at a solution yet. It is a bit scary to admit, but I am likely to quit the academic world. I don't think I love my subject so much that I can bear it to continue to sit in a room alone for the next three years writing some more papers who nobody really is interested in. I don't want to move into a foreign country. I don't want to have the same problems again in three years, i.e., that I will be running out of funding. I am sick of all the people who keep envying me because I am sucessful. Right now, I just don't know why I should go on.

The alternative is that I will pick up some job in the industry (not related to my PhD subject). Maybe I'll find some researchy thing to work for, but not as academic as the university. This would give fixed working hours, money and vacation.

The thing I am not sure about right now is: is it a pitty that I give up my scientific career because I am good at it and I should fight for my position? I should care less and move to another country (but then, at some point, I will need a tenured position and there is none around my home town).

9 Comments:

Blogger rented life said...

I understand with the moving part...I don't want to move to a different state at all. I got lucky this year, and will fight to keep the position if I can. Is there a chance of something opening up in your hometown in a few years?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:50:00 AM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

This is the core question. I do not know (and nobody can know that) whether there will be a professor position in my home town once I finished my tenure-thesis. This will be in five to seven years. Nobody knows what will be then.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must be the whining, crying post of a doctoral *student*. Man up and handle it. If not, jump the hell out.

I'm an ABD transitioning into "the real world" outside of school.

It's always scary, you just got to take the risky road.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:24:00 PM  
Anonymous PhD Research Paper said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger MUSA77 said...

The added action I did is the action that absolutely helped me which was to get a payday acclamation abutting accordance to handle my adherence at a below able and pay the payday credits ashamed for me for my inspiration. It was one of the best choices I anytime totaled and it was an accepting plan advanced of action action from the payday acclamation web. auto title loans

Friday, February 26, 2016 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks to inflation, the prices of plots and houses have further increased in the recent past. Considering this, over the last decade, the demand for home loans has gone up. When you want to buy your dream house and when you are not able to arrange the required money, loans from banks or any authorized financial services company will do the trick for you. Check Cashing San-diego

Sunday, March 06, 2016 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger jhon said...

If you do not accomplish a blockage annual acceding with a coffer they may abutting your blockage annual "for cause" and address it to the ChexSystems cyberbanking advertisement system. These letters abide for 5 years and could anticipate you from aperture a new blockage account, and alike annual your added banks to abutting your accepted blockage accounts.
cash advance chicago

Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger jhon said...

If you feel the lender's representative is not able to fully answer your questions, please say so! If the terms of the loan are not clear to you, do not take the loan until you fully understand them. Teachers always say that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. This is true! Again, if you do not understand all the terms of the loan, do not sign paperwork until those terms have been fully explained to you.
check cashing

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Payday advances are favored for some reasons. To the individuals who are really in the position of requiring one, its advantages dwarf the disservices. Furthermore, there truly are weaknesses; in any case we will break down those viewpoints therefore.

usacheckcashingstore.com/corona

Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home