Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Paper promotion?

Well, remember the paper? It is out now. I haven't received the printed journal yet, but there is already an announcement on the journal's web site. Yeah!

Now I am wondering if I should promote my paper. I found out that a certain BigProf is teaching a course on exactly my topic this term. He has listed all sorts of references at his course web site, but not my paper. I know this Prof in person, as he was teaching here once, and I have met him at conferences. Should I email him about my paper? If so, should I attach it right away?

He happens to be on the editorial board of the journal, so I am wondering he might know about it anyway and he considers it to be a bad peice of work, that's why he does not mention it on his site.

Is it too pushy to promote one's paper in such a way?

4 Comments:

Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Why not? Do it tactfully, as a matter of information... I hope you're doing well... oh and by the way, I noticed your course website references, and gee, I thought my paper might be good. I'd be glad for the feedback from discussions....

I think too many of us, too often are too shy. That doesn't mean you have to be in your face about it... but why not send a quick note?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think sometimes people refer to a paper bcos they suspect that author could be a potential reviewer. So, for the sake of his next paper, he might cite you.
from: http://www.phd-days.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:50:00 PM  
Blogger Pseudosanity said...

First. Congrats!

Second. It is perfectly acceptable to send out electronic copies of your latest publications to people who might be interested. I personally maintain a email list of the top 10 people in research circle and send everyone a copy of a new article. This serves two purposes. First and the more obvious one is citations. The second one, is possible collaborations. I have had one project so far that was a result of direct mailers.

Having said that, make sure that people on your list dont feel "spamed."

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger RageyOne said...

One suggetion is to e-mail the prof and maybe ask if you can do a presentation on the topic of your paper.

Friday, May 05, 2006 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home