Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Long time no see

The last couple of weeks I spent doing nothing. I was on vacation in the mountains and at my Grandma's over the Easter holidays. And now, I am somehow starting to get back to work.

Thank you all for your congratulations! But the thing isn't over yet. I had a meeting with the head of my department. He said (I still can't quite believe it) that he wanted me to write 200 pages. I have now 171. I think it is ok if there is some substantial thing that is missing and that I should add this, but just a mere page limit?

Somehow I feel like an idiot. Doing my research for people who do not care a shit about it. And even this head of the department has always seemed so bright and distinguished.

So, if he wants it to be 200 pages, he'll get exactly 200.

There is going to be a meeting with Ex Supervisor as well, b/c he is somehow involved in the committee. That's going to be pretty funny, b/c he hasn't read a single page yet. And now he has to b/c I'll try tp schedule the defense within the next couple of weeks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's really silly...I mean, if your work is substantial and complete, why a page limit? That seems very foolish to me.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger RageyOne said...

Good to hear from you. Glad to hear that all is going well for you. Well, with the exception of having to make your disseration 200 pages. That is unreal and silly of your chair to request that, I think. Making changes to add substance is reasonable, but adding just to reach a page limit doesn't make much sense to me.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:03:00 PM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

I understood the page limit thing as a polite way of saying: ''your thesis is absolute shit and you are an idiot''. That's why I'm pissed off by him,

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger rented life said...

This makes me gladI am working with someone who prefers conciseness. Put one word per page for the last 29 pages!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home