Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Follow up discussion on school meme

[I know I should be working, but this is just to get me more concentrated. I spell out my thoughts]

I think these school memes that are going around are really, really interesting. Because they are so similar in a way. Everyone was happy in kindergarten and primary school. And everybody had problems emerging in junior high/high school. Does this have smething to do with puberty? Is it te case that it is more difficult to be bright for girls than for boys? Have gender stereotypes caused all those problems for us?

An interesting article I have found on this topic some months ago is here: Gender and Genius.

I wonder what you think. Is being "the brain" harder for girls than for boys? If so, why should it be?

2 Comments:

Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

I do think it is harder for girls as they get older because (at least in my experience) very few boys are interested in girls (or, as adults, men interested in women) who are smarter than they are. Pity.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

Hm. But I thought that my mates and teachers weren't to be interested in me as a woman. And those few guys that should have been had no idea I was "the brain" (or did they?).

Still, I got quite depressed at puberty.

So it is not only a thing that effects romantic relationships, but disturbs a person as a whole.

Monday, March 06, 2006 2:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home