Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Typing hype

It is quiet. It is midnight. My fingers hit the buttons on my keybord. I like the sound and the smooth movements of the keys.
I am revising my dissertation. After almost two weeks I am back to work. Still tired and exhausted, but I'm going.
I like the feeling of doing something, instead of feeling awful and procrastinating all the time.

Today I got an email from the journal editor. Remember, I sent them my manuscript 14 months ago. They are going to send me the final prints soon! Yeah!

I was surfing my university's web pages, and I found out that there is a oaching project for female grad students. They would discuss topics such as isolation, conflicts with the supervisor, bad writing habits, and organizing oneself.
I thought: Wow, I'd just needed that! But now it's too late, as I will be finished soon (hopefully).
Then I thought about it. At the very worst time, which was about 14 months ago, before going to Another Town, THEN I really would have needed such help. But I didn't go there then. Because I thought my problems are too personal to discuss it in such a workshop. Because the academic world is so small and people will find out about my problems. And people would find out about my bad relationship with Ex Supervisor. And this would for sure have a bad effect on my career.
I still believe that not talking about the bad stuff is career saving. Since if you do, people will remeber you as an uneasy person.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Ballard said...

so what is "an easy person"?

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw the last line of this - and just wanted to say that sometimes talking about the bad stuff to lecturers etc can be helpful. They can take hearing really personal stuff like 'i'm going to kill myself' etc. Then they teach you without ever refering to it again. It's suprising how, after showing them how vunerable and scared you are, they too show how they are just like you. Only you would never have known, had you not told them how you feel. Sometimes I just want to be honest but I've learnt that I don't have to spell things out. Recently I said 'I don't want to go into detail, but it got so bad that it scared me' and they said ' I know' with a look that confirmed that they did. And that was enough. But yeah, sometimes just telling them can help.

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home