Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Church taxes

Yeah, I've stopped going to church almost 10 years ago. Before then I had to because we went there in school. It wasn't a catholic school, it was a school run by the government.

Here you have to go to the record office (the place where you get your passport and where you register your babies and your marriage etc.). There you have to resign officially from church. As this is a governmental service, you have to pay 15 €.

Now a short summary why I want to resign:

  • This is my first year of paying taxes. So I will have to pay the chuch taxes too (50 - 100€, I'm not quite sure). I don't want to.

  • I always dreamed of a big catholic wedding, me wearing a huge white wedding dress

    Interruption: Just got a package from Amazon. Jippie

    and a vein. But as there is no chance of ever getting married with My Mr Perfect, I think I don't want to be married at all. Apart from that romantic component it is just a financial contract between two peple. I think I don't ever want to have such a close financial relationship. One can be a couple without making it legal.

  • I am very surprised about the reactions to the death of the Pope. Even people I thought I knew quite well now claim that they liked him. Well, I didn't. I thought he was there but he was wrong on many things. I expeccted that everybody would now hope for better times.

2 Comments:

Blogger RageyOne said...

Interesting and fascinating. So the church is a governmental entity and you don't have a choice about paying. Do you only pay once if you want to resign from the church? It may be worth it to pay now to resign so you don't have to pay (more) later.

This is my first time ever hearing of paying to resign from a church. Here in the states there is a policy of "separation of church and state." The only problem with that statement is that it is not strictly followed (too much to go into now about what that means).

One doesn't have to resign from a church as you indicate, you just merely stop attending.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it cost money to join back up? that may be a consideration, but only if you change your mind alot.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home