Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Blogger anonymity revisited

I just learned that a new law was passed in My Country, requiring to list the full name and address on every home page. The requirement is that the owner of the homepage must be a resident.

Weblogs are subject to even stronger requirements: Beside name and address, one is required to say where one works and if one owns any shares. So a weblog comes down to a newspaper.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have never ever talked about Ex Supervisor under my real name!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger RageyOne said...

While I undestand the concept behind having an identifier on a webpage, I don't agree with it. I know that it is not that hard to find out who owns a webpage, especially a commercial one. However, in the case of a blog, such as yours, mine, & numerous others, I don't see why that is necessary. To me, a blog is like a public journal.

Okay, now that I think about it more, I guess I can come up with some reasons for identifying a blog - mainly those that are slanderous.

With all of that said, I do think that is a bit much for your government to make such a law. I mean, what about those entities that are not commercial. One would think that a personal, private webpage (that is not trying to sell anything) wouldn't need that information. Sounds like Big Brother is trying to rear his ugly head!

Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's pretty wild, wannabe. Seems like too much for them to require all that.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

How do they plan to regulate this? I mean, maybe they can for URLs issued with the country specified at the end ... but what about the .com/.net ones? And what about if you blog on blogger, which is not regulated by your country?

Friday, May 20, 2005 8:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

profgrrl asks a very good question.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger Pseudosanity said...

This law makes no sense, but then so do most laws. There is no realistic way to enforce this unless and otherwise they start blocking access to sites that do not conform to these requirements. Then again that would raise the question of censure of information.

I guess this law was mainly targeted at tech blogs that can influence the market. I bet they are going to selectively enforce this pathetic excuse for a law.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 6:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home