Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Email policy of faculty

Ex Supervisor never answers email. Not mine and not anyone else's. I have always thought that's the way he is. It is ok because we're not a business, we are academia.

But I always feel so stupid sending emails (like asking for an appointment, asking a question, telling about a paper I read etc). I've also tried to do these things via phone, but it didn't really work out.

And it really sucks if supervisors do not answer their email on purpose. I know Ex Supervisor has a laptop and he uses it even at home. He told me because he was so proud of it.


Conferences: Ex Supervisor once forbid that I spoke at a local conference. He just said no.
My last two talks, I wanted him to correct the handout or to get some suggestions.
Huh, huh, I emailed the handout (after I had called him and explained to him what I wanted and he agreed to do it) and never got an answer.
I hate this so much!

Fortunately he is EX supervisor.

2 Comments:

Blogger RageyOne said...

Yeah, good thing that person is your Ex-Supervisor. It sounds to me like that person has a really big EGO problem. Unfortunately, that comes with the territory of academia at times.

I wonder if it is ingrained in some people once they receive their PhD or is it learned? Hmmmm...something to think about...

Saturday, May 14, 2005 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger rented life said...

I wonder if your ex-supervisor is related to my ex- advisor, because the behavior is so similar!

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 8:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home