Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Low Tech

Some time ago Profgrrrrl had a post about her friend's low tech lifestyle. (Unfortunately, her archive listings are gone, so I can't provide a direct link). This post has inspired me to think about my own low tech lifestyle.

It was not clear to me before, but I probably resist new technology. My technical toys include:

  • A walkman with radio and tape (got it around 1992)
  • A radio with external discman (got it around 1991). I got the discman only later, because it was too expensive. And a stereo player including the CD device was way too expensive in the first place.
  • A game boy. I changed from the old version (the one which needed four batteries) to the Advance model only 2 years ago
  • A desktop computer from 1999 still in use for printing
  • A mobile phone from around 2000. It still has a visible antenna. And it is too big to fit into the phone space in bags.
  • A gas stove from around 1955
  • About the only up to date thing is my iBook G4 which is now 14 months old.


I do not own:

  • A TV
  • A microwave oven
  • An iPod
  • A digital camera
  • A mobile phone with color display, camera and funny tunes
  • A DVD player
  • A video recorder
  • Anything wireless


The weird thing is that I never thought of actively resisting technology. I thought I was very up to date because I surf the internet so much. Other, old-style people watch TV but I surf the net. I resisted to have a mobile phone for quite some time, but since I got mine in 2002 I thought I've got everything.

I guess to be really up-to-date one has to change things every 18 months or 3 years. Well, I still like my tapes and CDs I bought in high school.

2 Comments:

Blogger rented life said...

There's actual a theory for what you're talking about. It's called the "diffusion of innovations" (Evertt Rogers wrote a book w/ that title). It's pretty big in my dept. (I think I just gave myself away a bit). There are many things that determine who adpots new technologies and when. I could blab on for awhile about it if you're interested. Maybe I'll post on it! :)

Monday, June 06, 2005 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

MUST. GET. THAT. BOOK.

Please, do blog about it. I'm interested!! (And I'm definitely not doing your subject).

(I have a digital camera now, b/c profgrrrrl posts so many pictures. I want to do that, too.
I'll do an eye-blog, soon. Promise.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home