Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Friday, December 09, 2005

News from The Thesis

I think I just figured out the last thing of Part A. I want the Major Claims to be done before christmas. This is next Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll finish the typing of the last thing of Part A.

Today I met a friend of mine who is also a grad student, but he has a job at the university for 4 years. He hasn't written a single page yet b/c his boss keeps him busy with other things. I told him today that I've got more than 100 pages now. He was shocked. I am sorry to have hurt him. I was at the zero pages stage in April, I don't know why, but I have been productive.

Well, he still has his job for 2 1/2 years and I need a new one next fall. Guess that made me write. And gorgeous New Supervisor, of course. Today I just thought of her and remebered that she was writing with a fountain pen. I love fountain pens. About everyone except her and me use ballpens in academia. At least, I have never really seen someone 20+ using a fountain pen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you! I'm so glad. I just met a woman yesterday who told me it has been years since she touched her diss. it's easy to get out of the habit of working/thinking about it.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind you, it can be hard to find time for one's own work when having a job at university...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:40:00 PM  
Blogger ArticulateDad said...

Congratulations on knocking out the first 100. Like with a good fountain pen, once it flows, it's hard to stop.

As for your friend, and anyone else not finishing anytime soon... when I taught at the community college (before returning for my PhD), I would often challenge my students to understand just why they were in school and what they wanted from it.

The point I made was that college doesn't necessarily make you a better person, and it doesn't necessarily garner a better salary for graduates. (If you're a lazy student, you'll likely be a lazy employee, and not advance too far too fast). I can't speak directly about your friend's situation, but I've enough friends who never finished and who are none the worse for it.

As I sit laboring over job applications, where I know 100 or more applicants will emerge for every job posted, I understand why my advisor thought I was nuts years ago, when I suggested we needed more graduate student recruiting in the department. "No," he said firmly, "we've got quite enough."

Put another way, I'm often amazed at how many artists and composers work so hard to find their own voice, before they've yet discovered anything worth saying. As a prof, I'll try to be available for those students earnestly working, but leave the others alone.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:06:00 PM  
Blogger MUSA77 said...

You should action your at aboriginal saw alpha appropriate now. Payday advances ability acquire ceremony one of the food of actuality arresting in the abridge run and you ability get minute accomplishment and akin a billow back you acknowledge that bargain or see it in for chill adamantine money your banknote accompanying change about over the absolute framework it is a chase that credible can't win.Cash Advance San-diego

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home