Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Academic blog

I'm thinking of starting an academic blog. I am afraid if I post my ideas on certain things they might get stolen. I think I would use a code name and not mention my real one. And I think I would not mention My Department's name because I hate them so much.
But I'm so lonely here I would love to talk about my thesis and related topics. I do read several academic blogs. Most often they point out new calls and new papers, sometimes students but not professors spell out some ideas.

I would love to teach my own course. I would love to express my ideas, my general ideas about the future of my subject and related fields. But things are still too sketchy to sumbit them to a journal. And putting them on my professional home page would seem so embarrarssing. I would like to discuss my thoughts with a teacher and also the question of whether to publish them online or to send them to journals.
But there's no one.

I know that young MALE students in the US think of themselves as The Greatest and they keep writing stuff. And they get cited! Even if these papers are only manuscripts on their home pages.

I want to teach and I want to write.
But I'm not sure wheter to do it anonymously. And wheter things might get stolen.

3 Comments:

Blogger RageyOne said...

I know of several people in my field who have "academic blogs" (I'm not one of them even though it was requested of me). The few that I've perused seem to comment and have a dialogue going with others in the same area discussing various articles, research studies, and their ideas.

I guess, if I were you, I would be careful about what I put out there. If you think it is something that others may want to use and get credit for then I definitely wouldn't put that out there for pubic consumption. However, an "academic blog" may be what you need to get your name known in your respective field (it sounds like that is what you want to do).

Sunday, May 01, 2005 4:24:00 PM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

I'm afraid you are right. A couple of years ago some of my work got stolen, and this was not even via internet.
I'm sorry that it is not possible to talk about work openly, but I guess I'd better not post my ideas and keep going on alone in my room.

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger RageyOne said...

If that is the case I definitely would not put my work out there. The fear that it could be stolen and others use it after of all of my hard work would be heartbraking. These days, you can never be too careful.

Maybe you should just keep a private journal - one that isn't published. That way you are physically going through with the act of writing as if it is for public consumption, but it isn't. That way once you are done or well into said project you can post about it public without fear of someone else taking your idea.

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home