Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Learning English

As you know, I always suffer that I cannot express myself the way I want in English. So, I've started a new strategy on language improvement: I'm working through English Vocabulary in Use - advanced which is full of words I've never heard before.

(Biographical note: I've stopped learning English after I quit high school, went to England, came back, had a nervous brak-down. Now, old and wise, I know that the level of English one achives during high-school is quite low, although I've passed several English exams when I was 17.)

To start, I've decided to study the chapter on aversion, a feeling I experience quite often. It is useful for me to describe every shade of it. The book said: repulse, scorn, loathness, revulsion, abhorrence and a couple of more related adjectives.

The task for now: match each of the expressions to the corresponding face!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the dirty looks! abhorrence is a great word.

you seem to do well in english, but I understand wanting to get better.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:39:00 AM  
Blogger rented life said...

my one friend often says the same thing and I will tell you what I told him. Your english is better than you think it is, most (Americans) English skills aren't that good either (very sad) and lastly there are plently of times when I can't find the right words either.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home