Wanna Be PhD

PhD 2006. Now fully blown by the Postdoc Experience.

Name:
Location: My Appartment, Academic Nowhereland

Email: wannabephd@gmail.com

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Self-promotion

I just came across a colleague's web page. He's a grad student at Stanford, doing My Subject. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw his list of publications. It was soooo incredible long. Unbelievable. I thought he - being about my age - must have started publishing when he was around 12.

Then I took a closer look: He listed all papers he ever wrote. ALL of them. Yes, including term papers. Yes, including drafts for presentations he did as an undergraduate.

Is this the way it's done today? I have always thought that one ought to provide a list with Major Publications which includes only blind peer-reviewed papers and presentations.

6 Comments:

Blogger Pseudosanity said...

Thats just plain wrong. Actually its hurting him more than doing any good. If I were a perspective employer and see termpapers listed, I am not going to be all that impressed with his caliber.
IMHO, you should stick to listing peer reviewed papers.

Saturday, August 27, 2005 7:27:00 PM  
Blogger RageyOne said...

I agree with Pseudo. Posting all of his writings will not do him a bit of good.

I know someone like that in my program. I think he does so that it appears that he has a longer CV than the most of his peers. Personally, I don't put everything I do on my CV 'cause everything doesn't show what I'm capable of.

Monday, August 29, 2005 12:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is just so lame! i agree, too. that's got to make him just look silly. list your best work, peer reviewed stuff. better to be choosy and list what really represents you than to list absolutely everything you've ever done. i've written some goofy papers in my time!

Monday, August 29, 2005 4:16:00 PM  
Blogger Wanna Be PhD said...

Thanks for sharing my opinion! I feared that all American students, or rather, all students studying at the American Top Universities, are egodriven career-maniacs.

I am always concerned about my work, and I really do not send around or publish drafts on my web page if I'm not exactly sure that it is finished and a good piece of work.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 4:39:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We are encouraged to "pad" a little, but that is ridiculous. I have a section in my CV for published works (and if I had enough, I would separate them by book chapters, peer reviewed, etc.) and then another section for unpublished manuscripts (and I have a manuscript for each should I be asked to produce it). Each of those is either being reviewed at a journal or is being reworked for publication.

When people apply for jobs here, faculty often go through all of their pubs and mark which are peer reviewed, and which are in "good" journals. People see through that stuff.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger rented life said...

I was always told to sell myself, but never so cheaply. As soon as potential employers find out what he did he will be LAUGHED out of the job. Obviously this guy lacks confidence, or a brain, to do the right thing.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home